When you move to Texas and establish residency, you are required to obtain a Texas license plate and vehicle registration within 30 days of moving to the state. This is required by Texas law to ensure that all vehicles operated on Texas roads and highways are properly registered and insured, and to enable law enforcement officials to identify vehicles and their owners.
To register your vehicle and obtain a license plate in Texas, you will need to follow these steps:
- Obtain vehicle insurance that meets Texas minimum liability requirements.
- Pass a vehicle inspection at a Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) licensed inspection station.
- Complete the Application for Texas Title and/or Registration form (Form 130-U).
- Provide proof of ownership for the vehicle, such as a manufacturer’s certificate of origin, a previous title, or a bill of sale.
- Provide proof of identity, such as a driver’s license or identification card.
- Pay the required fees, which vary depending on factors such as the type of vehicle and the length of time the registration is valid.
- Submit the completed application, proof of insurance, proof of inspection, and payment to the county tax assessor-collector’s office in the county where the vehicle is registered.
Once your application has been processed and approved, you will be issued a license plate and registration sticker, which must be displayed on the vehicle’s front and rear license plate brackets respectively. It is important to keep your registration up to date and display a valid license plate to avoid penalties or fines.
If you have recently moved to Texas from another state and already have a valid license plate from that state, you may be able to transfer the registration to Texas. You will need to follow a similar process and provide documentation showing that you are the registered owner of the vehicle, and that the vehicle has been properly inspected and insured.
For further information about obtaining license plates and completing vehicle registrations in Texas, contact:
Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV)
4000 Jackson Avenue
Austin, TX 78731
Phone: (512) 465-3000
Fax: (512) 465-4129